October – May / Burning information
No debris burning inside city and urban growth areas.
- Burning pile of natural debris must only be 4x4x4. One person must be at burn site at all times.
- Fire must be extinguished by dusk.
- Burning yard waste, such as leaves, grass, brush and other yard trimmings is allowed.
- Burning to clear land of trees, stumps, shrubbery, or other natural vegetation is allowed.
- Residents may have campfires so long as the fire is in an approved pit or area.
- Portable fireplaces are allowed so long as they’re on noncombustible surfaces and burn only natural wood products.
- No Burning in City Limits or in the urban growth area.
- Orchard burning of limbs, trees and branches is allowed.
- Orchard removal of trees to clear land for development call Department of Ecology for a permit 1-509-575-2490.
- For Agricultural burns, U.S. Forest burns and burns that are permitted by D.O.E. call Department of Ecology to confirm it is a burn day 1-800-406-5322 recording prompts #1 and #2.
- For residential natural vegetation burns check the D.O.E website for current burn information and air stagnation notifications.
- No burning of debris in a barrel.
- Always call the Fire Department 509-682-4476 to notify us of the location you are burning at.
June 1, open burning will be closed throughout the unincorporated portions of Chelan County. This includes natural vegetation and yard debris. Other restrictions include:
- Attended recreational campfires are not allowed at any location without the approval of the fire chief of the local fire district. This does not include recreational campfires at private residences and hosted campgrounds.
- Campfires at dispersed camping sites are not allowed.
- Recreational fireworks are not allowed in Chelan County. The public is encouraged to watch a permitted, public fireworks display in Chelan County over the Fourth of July weekend.
- No household trash or garbage shall be burned outdoors at residences at any time.
- Burn barrels are illegal and are not permitted.
Burning in City Limits prohibited – WAC 173-425-040
Chelan County Website:
Main website: https://www.co.chelan.wa.us/
News item: https://www.co.chelan.wa.us/news/article/chelan-county-fire-hazard-designation
Chelan County Code: Fire Hazard code chp7.52
Chelan County Fire Hazard Website and Evacuation levels:
WA Department of Natural Resources
US National Forest Service – Okanogan/Wenatchee
Burn Ban information:
No Campfires: see website link above for more information
The link below will provide WAC 173-425-050 which is in regards to Other prohibitions/requirements that apply to all outdoor burning.
Washington State Department of Ecology: www.ecy.wa.gov/
Washington State Department of Natural Resources: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/OutdoorBurning